Slow week for the CX
I managed to get some money back from the first bike as agreed as well as a couple of service manuals. The official one on the right is very nice. I love all the exploded views with torque specs. If anybody needs anything copied from it, let me know. I can take pictures of the pages needed and send them.
I also repaired my right intake boot with some plastic epoxy. I tried not to make it too messy and just filled the cracks. I sprayed carb clean on it after it cured and it withstood that without melting or anything. The temp rating is up to 200 F which is fine considering cool air and fuel are passing through it. It's temporary until I can find a good replacement one.
The next day I ran it to see if it ran well on with no air leaks. Success! The motor sounds pretty good except for the exhaust. Major leaks from the H-pipe and the left muffler is just hanging there. It's all rusted out. No matter because I'll be installing a Mac 2 into 1 assembly when the time comes. The left carb is leaking too. Not sure exactly what from. The float may be sticking or something. I'm going to take them off and rebuild them and rejet to 90/120.
I also spent a little time cleaning some of the exposed parts of the frame to see how it would shine up. Not too bad, but there are a lot of scratches and little rusty halos at the seams and such. Not noticeable from standing a few feet away but I've come to the conclusion I won't be happy with that. The rest of the bike if going to be shiny with new paint and powder coat on all the parts except the frame. If the frame is done up right as well, the whole bike will be so much better. I don't want any regrets.
I'm going to pick up a bench grinder/polisher this weekend. It's something I wish I had all along for my past projects. I want to polish the valve covers, intake manifolds, clutch cover, carb tops, gas cap cover, and fuse box. I need the grinder to help shape the fenders too. So much work to do...
I think I'll pull the motor this weekend and start stripping the bike down to a bare frame. Then I can start cleaning all the parts and rebuilding. Hoping to get some money this month for the seat. I need that in my hands so I can modify the rear of the frame to mount the seat before sending the frame out to be powder coated. It could take over a month to get the seat after it's ordered. At least I'll have plenty of time to get the rest ready for assembly. I'm hoping this project can be done by spring time. All depends on how much money I can get together for all the parts I need. The list is growing.
No comments:
Post a Comment